• Conduct surveys to monitor the volumes and values of offshore and inshore fishery landings at the main fish markets.
• Conduct assessments to determine the current level of exploitable and as well as potential inshore fishery resources.
• Carry out investigative research and assessments to determine the status and sustainable level of Inshore Fisheries.
• Identify appropriate management and conservation measures via research to facilitate the sustainable utilization of the inshore fisheries and marine habitats.
• Conduct research and stock assessment in conjunction with Regional organizations on the status of deepwater, tuna and other offshore pelagic species.
• Investigate the potential of marine and aquatic species for aquaculture and mariculture and conduct research into relevant farming methods and proper feeds using local ingredients.
• Implement research works to accommodate and address fishery stakeholders needs.
• Carry out research and collect scientific data to formulate and support management and conservation measures imposed as well as strengthening technical advices afforded to fishermen and fishery communities.
• Carry out periodic surveys and assessments to determine the social economic status from fishing in Samoa.